Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing information and advice

Service outline:

We provide advice and assistance on a wide range of housing related problems.

Many people living in accommodation in the private sector, are unsure of their rights and are unsure where they can go for help. Also, many landlords renting out accommodation are not aware that we can offer impartial advice regarding problems they may experience with their tenants.

We provide advice on:

Notices to Quit Accommodation - this includes notices given to tenants because a tenancy is coming to an end, tenancy agreements that have expired or are
expiring, and issues where tenants may have breached the terms of their tenancy agreement (for example, by non payment of rent).

Rent Increases - in most situations, a landlord must follow a set procedure if he wants a tenant to pay more rent.

Disrepair - people living in private rented accommodation can often have problems with disrepair and many landlords and tenants are not aware of their obligations.
There are also some schemes available to people that own their homes.

Deposits - at the end of a tenancy, deposit money may be withheld for different reasons. Advice can be given to landlords and tenants in relation to this.

Relationship Breakdown - many people are not aware of their rights when they separate from a partner. Advice can be given regarding their housing situation and any benefits they may be entitled to.

Mortgages - people fall into mortgage arrears for many different reasons, such as unemployment or health problems. There are various options available which can prevent someone from losing their home, even if court proceedings have already begun.

Long Leaseholders with a private Freeholder - problems can be experienced with the Freeholder, for example, in relation to Service Charges.

Welfare Benefits - many people are not aware of the wide range of benefits they may be entitled to. For example, checks can be carried out for people wanting to return to work if they are unsure how their benefits will be affected.

Homelessness - advice can be given at any time if people think they may be homeless in the future, or where they are already homeless.

Housing Options - there are a range of options which are available to people who are looking for alternative housing.

Landlords - if you have a property to rent within the Ribble Valley, there are a variety of schemes available to assist you.

For more information see Housing.

Key contacts

Contact: RVBC Housing Department

Telephone: 01200 414567

RVBC, Church Walk, Clitheroe

Quick search

Begin to type the name and select from the appearing choices.