Parks and open spaces
The path through Brungerly Park takes you through a maze of artistic carved wooden sculptures. There is a proposal to extend this award-winning sculpture trail in conjunction with 'Clitheroe the Future'. It would create a Ribble Valley Nature and Sculpture Trail taking in the parks riverside footpath to Low Moor and the councils Woodland Burial Site at nearby Clitheroe Cemetery.
Brungerley Park and the former quarry sites of Crosshill and Salthill, are now designated wildlife conservation areas. Cross Hill Quarry is situated north of Clitheroe along the Ribble Way and is continuous with Brungerley Park. Approach from the Waddington Road (through Brungerley Park) or from West Bradford Road (opposite the chimney of the Castle Cement Works). Cars can be parked on the West Bradford Road.
Work has started on an ambitious six month Ribble Valley council scheme to revamp Brungerley Park at a cost of £70,000. The scheme will see the restoration of gates, improved signage, the thinning out of shrubbery, repairs to walls and paths, a disabled parking scheme, new street and garden furniture, bench repainting, an enhanced woodland area and wildflower meadow habitat, and also improved drainage.
Councillor Robert Thomson, Chairman of Ribble Valley Councils community committee, said: "Brungerley Park is extremely popular with residents, walkers and visitors to the area. "The refurbishment project will make one of Clitheroes most attractive spots even more attractive and fulfil one of the councils core ambitions, that of protecting and enhancing the environmental quality of the Ribble Valley."
Clitheroe castle and surrounding park in the centre of Clitheroe was bought in 1920 by the people of Clitheroe by subscription and declared a memorial to the men who had lost their lives in the Great War. Later a cenotaph was built in the newly created Garden of Remembrance and unveiled in 1923. Clitheroe Castle was built in 1186 by Robert de Lacy and has been a proud feature of the town ever since. The Castle Museum can be found next to the Castle Keep in the Castle Grounds. There is a reconstructed lead mine, clogger's shop and an Edwardian kitchen (with hearing loop), all with sound. There is also a cafe in the grounds open from Easter to September which is five minutes' walk from the Museum. The Castle grounds also contain rose gardens, play areas, a skate park, and a bowling green.
Edisford is south-west of Clitheroe on Edisford Road there is a car park shared between those who wish to stroll the footpaths along the banks of the River Ribble and those who wish to swim in Ribblesdale Pool. There s a pleasant caravan park and an area of parkland, which has a playground, a very narrow gauge railway, a cafe and a picnic, site. Edisford is also a haven for anglers in pursuit of trout and salmon.
Telephone: 01200 414471RVBC, Church Walk, Clitheroe