Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Complaint about an elected member/councillor

Complaints about councillors

This form is only to be used if you are complaining about a (parish or borough) councillor's conduct. 

If your complaint is about the council or its officers see our complaints procedure.

The points listed below will help you decide whether this is the correct form to use when making your complaint. You should speak to Diane Rice, Monitoring Officer, if you are not clear if the Accounts and Audit committee can consider your complaint.  A sub-committee will make the decision about what action, if any, to take on your complaint.

  • Your complaint must be about conduct that occurred while the member(s) complained about were in office.  Conduct of an individual before they were elected, co-opted or appointed to the authority, or after they have resigned or otherwise ceased to be a member, cannot be considered by the sub-committee.
  • Your complaint must be about one or more named members of the following authorities: a Parish Council within the Ribble Valley; Ribble Valley Borough Council.
  • Your complaint must be that the member(s) has, or may have, breached the Code of Conduct.  A copy of the Code of Conduct and further information is available via the following link:  http://www.ribblevalley.gov.uk/info/200213/conduct_and_the_constitution/1062/constitution_and_code_of_conduct_etc/7 You may also contact Diane Rice: diane.rice@ribblevalley.gov.uk

  • Complaints about dissatisfaction with a decision or action of the authority or one of its committees, a service provided by the authority or the authority's procedures do not fall within the jurisdiction of the committee.  Complaints about the actions of people employed by the authority also do not fall within the jurisdiction of the committee.
  • Your complaint must be in writing. If a disability prevents you from making your complaint in writing you may contact Diane Rice for assistance.

It is important to note that not every complaint that falls within the jurisdiction of the committee will be referred for investigation or other action.

How should I set out my complaint?

It is very important that you set your complaint out fully and clearly, and provide all the information at the outset.  You should also provide any documents or other material that you wish the Monitoring Officer or committee to consider, where possible.

We recommend that you use our complaint form, or provide a covering note summarising what you are complaining about, especially if your complaint includes a lot of supporting documentation. In the summary you should tell us exactly what each person you are complaining about said or did that has caused you to complain. If you are sending supporting documentation please cross-reference it against the summary of your complaint.


You should be as detailed as possible and substantiate your complaint where you can. Although you are not required to prove your complaint at this stage of proceedings, you do have to demonstrate that you have reasonable grounds for believing that the member(s) complained about has breached the Code of Conduct.