Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Planning - Business



Working From Home

If the answer to any of the following questions is "yes", then planning permission will probably be needed:

  • Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
  • Will your business result in a significant increase in traffic or people calling?
  • Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

Changing the Use of a Building

Planning permission may be needed if you intend to change the use of a building.

The Use Class page gives details of how use is classified.

See our submitting an application  page if you think you will require planning permission.


"Planning permission A Guide for Business" produced by The Department of
Environment, Transport and Regions is available below and from Level D reception at the
Council Offices.  It gives a simple overview of how planning law relates to business.

It is always advisable to consult the Development Control department before applying for any planning permission contact us on planning@ribblevalley.gov.uk or 01772 414499.