Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Planning - Business

Farms and Agriculture


Agriculture is defined under Planning law as including:

  • horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming
  • the breeding and keeping of livestock
  • the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, market gardens or nursery grounds
  • the use of land for woodlands where that use is ancillary to the farming of land for other agricultural purposes

Prior Notifications

This is an application to assess whether a formal planning application will be required for agricultural development. Special forms are available from the council if you wish to submit a prior notification application.

For more information on prior notifications please contact us.

Agricultural Dwellings

Planning permission is always needed to create new dwellings. You should also check the District wide Local Plan as this contains many policies relating to housing.

In determining an application for an agricultural dwelling we will consult with Lancashire County Council Rural Estates office to assess whether there is a proven need for the new building.

If permission is granted for an agricultural dwelling it is likely to include an occupancy condition that states that only agricultural workers can live there.


Most forms of diversification will require planning permission as you are changing the use of the land or buildings from agricultural. This includes:

  • conversion of farm buildings
  • holiday accommodation
  • stables for horses
  • caravan sites
  • farm shops
  • amenity lakes


It is always advisable to consult the Development Control department before applying for any planning permission Contact us.

  1. Planning permission for businesses
  2. Businesses
  3. You are here: Farms and Agriculture
  4. Advertisements
  5. Use Classes