Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

Housing and Council Tax Support


What is Housing and Council Tax Support?

Housing and Council Tax Support is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is paid by Ribble Valley Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government for housing benefit and set out in the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) Regulations 2012 for Council Tax Support.

Could I be entitled to help with my rent and Council Tax payments?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:

  • Council Tenant
  • paying rent to a private landlord - see the Tenancy Protection Scheme
  • Housing Association tenant
  • living in a hostel
  • paying for board and lodgings

You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work, you can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are

  • a home-owner
  • liable to pay Council Tax

If you own your own home we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you require this help.

Who cannot claim?

  • People with savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of the Guaranteed Credit part of the Pension Credit)
  • People living with / paying board to a close relative (although Second Adult Rebate may be claimed)
  • People who are from outside the UK who do not have recourse to public funds
  • There are special rules for students and people living in residential/nursing homes.