Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
Housing and Council Tax Support
What is Housing and Council Tax Support?
Housing and Council Tax Support is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is paid by Ribble Valley Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government for housing benefit and set out in the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) Regulations 2012 for Council Tax Support.
Could I be entitled to help with my rent and Council Tax payments?
You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:
- Council Tenant
- paying rent to a private landlord - see the Tenancy Protection Scheme
- Housing Association tenant
- living in a hostel
- paying for board and lodgings
You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work, you can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.
You can claim Council Tax Support if you are
- a home-owner
- liable to pay Council Tax
If you own your own home we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you require this help.
Who cannot claim?
- People with savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of the Guaranteed Credit part of the Pension Credit)
- People living with / paying board to a close relative (although Second Adult Rebate may be claimed)
- People who are from outside the UK who do not have recourse to public funds
- There are special rules for students and people living in residential/nursing homes.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- You are here: Housing and Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund ?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013