Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
Appealing to the Valuation Tribunal Service (Council Tax Support only)
If you disagree with the decision about your Council Tax Support you must write to us (the Benefits Service) first and ask us to look at the decision again. You can write to us at anytime to say you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision. There is no time limit. We will reply to you within two months of getting your request.
If we have looked at our decision again and you are still unhappy with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You must contact them within two months of the date of our reply.
If you have not heard from us and it is two months since you wrote to us, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service. However, you must contact them within four months of when you first wrote to us.
What you can appeal against
You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service for either of the reasons below:
Whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support.
How much Council Tax Support we have awarded you under our Council's scheme.
You cannot appeal to the Valuation Service about the rules that have been put in the Council's tax support scheme or about the Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support scheme.
To appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service, you can visit their website at http://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/CTReduction.aspx or contact them at:
2 Trafford Court
Telephone: 0300 1231033
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- You are here: What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013