Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
Council Tax Support Scheme
All working age people who currently recieve council tax benefit are likely to see changes to the amount they receive from 1 April 2013 under the new Council Tax Support scheme.
This has come about after the Government's 2010 Spending Review when it announced that support for council tax would be localised (set by each local council across the UK).
We have adopted a council tax support scheme following widespreas consultation. The result of this consultation showed significant support (68%) for the Council's scheme which retains all the protections contained in the current Council Tax Benefit scheme whilst funding the savings required from a cobination of reducing the support given to the claimants of working age and using the additional income that we get from second homes in the borough.
Our council tax support scheme will consist of a 12% reduction in council tax benefit for all claimants of working age. Any pensioners who claim will be protected and not see a reduction in their council tax benefit.
We have accepted additional government funding to limit the reduction to 8.5% for the first year (2013).
The majority of claimants will be no more than £100 per year worse off (less than £2 per week) as a result of the changes and those affected should have now received letters outlining the change.
Claimants of pension age will not be affected by these changes. To check if you are pension credit age use the DWP Pension Credit Toolkit.
This only relates to council tax benefit, other council tax discounts such as single person discount or student discount will not be affected by these changes.
For more information download a full copy of our Council Tax Support scheme or contact 01200 425111.
Our Council Tax Support scheme started on 1 April 2013.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- You are here: Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund ?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013