Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?


Housing and Council Tax support is assessed on a means tested assessment for people who pay rent and /or Council Tax.

The means tested calculation differs for each person as it relates to you and your family's circumstances. We consider:

  • you and your partners age
  • any disabilities you or your partner may have
  • any children for whom child benefit is payable to either you or your partner

Whether you qualify for Housing and Council Tax Support depends on many circumstances. When calculating Housing and Council Tax Support we will take the following into consideration:

  • your income - please note that since 27/10/08 child maintenance is fully disregarded in the calculation and from 02/11/09 Child Benefit will also be fully disregarded
  • any savings you may have
  • the size of your family
  • income from non-dependents (other people aged 18 or over who live with you)

Remember - If you are aged between 16 and 60 and have savings of £16,000 or over, you will not qualify for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. However, if you are over 60 and in receipt of the Guaranteed Credit part of the Pension Credit you may qualify.

By using the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Calculator you can find out how much you will be entitled to.