Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
If you think that you may be entitled to benefit please apply straight away as if you delay applying you may loose benefit. Benefit is normally paid from the Monday following receipt of the claim. Benefit cannot normally be backdated unless you can satisfy us that you had good cause for not claiming earlier.
If you are a Housing Association tenant your housing benefit can be paid directly to your landlord but we require confirmation from yourself and your landlord that you agree to direct payments being made.
If you are a private tenant not covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations (existing claims pre 07/04/08) housing benefit can be paid direct to your landlord but again we need signed confirmation from you both.
Most claims made on or after 07/04/08 are covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations and payments are made to the tenant. There are a few exceptions to safeguard vulnerable groups, please see page 14 below for more details.
In all cases payment of housing benefit is made four weekly in arrears and usually paid straight into a bank account on a Thursday and should be in the account on the following Monday. Housing Benefit payments by cheque are normally posted on Wednesday by second class post.
Awards of council tax benefit are credited directly to your council tax account and a new bill will be issued with revised payment details.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund ?
- You are here: When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013