Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

What is Second Adult Rebate?


Second Adult rebate is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on the income of other people who live with you and are over 18 years old.

Would I be entitled to this if I don't qualify for Housing and Council Tax Support?

Yes, if you do not qualify for assistance with your rent or Council Tax you may be eligible for second adult rebate based on the income of other adults in your property.

Some people who are part of your household and over the age of 18 are disregarded for Council Tax purposes and therefore we cannot award second adult rebate. If someone in your household is:

  • a full time student
  • severely Mentally impaired
  • currently in prison

If you would like more information please contact 01200 414453.

The amount of second adult rebate that is granted depends on the gross income of other adults living in the property who are not your partner, not responsible for paying the rent or Council Tax.

Based on the income of the second adult you could be entitled to a 25%, 15% or 7.5% reduction from your annual Council Tax bill.

From 1st April 2013 Second Adult Rebate will consist of a 8.5 % reduction for 2013. Claimants who are pension age will not be affected by the change. To check if you are pension credit age use the DWP Pension Credit Toolkit.