Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?


If you have a change in your circumstances you must inform Ribble Valley Borough Council, in writing, within one calendar month. If you fail to notify us of the change within one calendar month, and this change results in more Housing and Council Tax Support, we will apply the change from the following Monday after notification. If your benefit and council tax support reduces as a result of the change we will go back to the date your circumstances changed. If you fail to notify us on time and you are overpaid benefit and council tax support, you will have to pay this back.

Here are some examples of changes in circumstance that you must report to Ribble Valley Borough Council within one calendar month:

  • any change to the household income and savings
  • if anyone joins or leaves the household
  • any changes in rent
  • any temporary or permanent absence from home
  • any hospitalisation of you or your partner
  • any change in the Tax Credit you receive

This list is not exhaustive. If in doubt let us know of any change. We will confirm if it affects your benefit and council tax support. If you tell The Department for Work and Pensions or The Inland Revenue of any change in circumstance you must also inform Ribble Valley Borough Council in writing.

Changes in circumstances can also be reported to Ribble Valley Borough Council by telephone on 01200 414453 and you will then normally be asked to provide confirmation in writing.

Change of Address

You need to tell us straight away if you move.  You may need to claim housing and council tax support at your new address and you will want to get benefit and council tax support sorted out as soon as possible.

  • If you move to a new address within the borough you will need to complete our Benefits Change of Address Form
  • If you move to another borough you will need to claim housing and council tax support direct from that council.

From 07/04/08 if you change your address and rent from a private landlord you may be affected by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) legislation.  Please see page 14 below for more details.

Change of Circumstances - When Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance ends

If you have been receiving one of the above benefits and start work or increase your hours and benefit ends there are certain rules that may apply:

  • Extended Payments - Your housing and council tax support may continue for 4 weeks if you have received one of the above benefits for at least 26 weeks without a break and your job is likely to last at least 5 weeks.  Tell jobcentreplus as soon as possible when you start work and tell us too.  The sooner you let us know the sooner we can check if you are entitled to an extended payment.
  • In-work claim - You may still be entitled to some housing and council tax support depending on the level of your earnings and Tax Credits etc.  You will need to provide details of your income and capital and complete a Benefits Change of Circumstances Form

 Please don't delay in claiming or you could lose out on housing benefit and council tax support.