Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Licensing Act 2003 (alcohol, entertainment etc.)

Premises Licences


What is a premises licence?

The Licensing Act 2003 amalgamates six existing licensing regimes covering the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment and replaces them with a single system of premises licence.

Businesses can now apply for a single premises licence to cover all the licensable activities they wish to carry on.

Who can apply?

Anyone who proposes to carry on a business involving licensable activities on the premises can apply for a premises licence. This covers any individual (aged 18 or over) or business. Recognised clubs, charities, a proprietor of an educational establishment, health service bodies and a chief officer of police may also apply for a premises licence.

How do I apply?

In order to apply for a premises licence you need to submit an application form to the licensing authority within whose area the premises is situated. If the premises are in the Ribble Valley the licensing authority is the Ribble Valley Borough Council.  An application pack is available here.

Please submit your application to:
The Administration & Licensing Officer
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Council Offices
Church Walk
BB7 2RA. 

You must also send copies to the various Responsible Authorities and advertise the application both on the premises and in the local press.

How will my application be determined?

If there are no objections or representations from either a responsible authority or other person, the application will be granted and there will be no hearing. If a relevant objection or representation is made there will be a hearing (unless all parties have agreed this is not necessary). You will be entitled to attend the hearing and make representations.

What form will the licence take?

The licence will include the following information:

  • the name and address of the licence holder;
  • a plan of the premises;
  • the licensable activities permitted;
  • if these include the supply of alcohol, the name and address of the designated premises supervisor;
  • any conditions to which the licence is subject;
  • if the licence is not permanent, then the dates for which it is to have effect;
  • the times the licence authorises the carrying out of licensable activities;
  • the opening hours of the premises; and
  • where the licence authorises supplies of alcohol whether these are on and/or off supplies.

The holder of the licence must ensure that a summary of the licence (in a prescribed form) is prominently displayed at the premises.

How long will the licence last?

A premises licence unless granted only for a limited period remains in force until it is surrendered or revoked. Although the licence is not subject to annual renewal the licence holder has to pay an annual charge to the licensing authority (see note on fees).

Licensing Section

For further information and advice on premises licences please contact:
Administration & Licensing Officer
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Council Offices
Church Walk

Direct line: 01200 414454
Fax: 01200 414485
e-mail: catherine.moore@ribblevalley.gov.uk

Related downloads 


Live Music Act 2012 
Late night refreshment pack 
Application to specify a new Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)  
Application to vary a premises licence
Minor variation application
Application to Transfer a Premises Licence 
Review of Premises Licence 
Request to be removed as DPS