Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support


Appealing to the Valuation Tribunal Service (Council Tax Support only) 

If you disagree with the decision about your Council Tax Support you must write to us (the Benefits Service) first and ask us to look at the decision again. You can write to us at anytime to say you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision. There is no time limit. We will reply to you within two months of getting your request.

If we have looked at our decision again and you are still unhappy with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You must contact them within two months of the date of our reply.

If you have not heard from us and it is two months since you wrote to us, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service. However, you must contact them within four months of when you first wrote to us.

What you can appeal against

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service for either of the reasons below:

  • Whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support.
  • How much Council Tax Support we have awarded you under our Council's scheme.

You cannot appeal to the Valuation Service about the rules that have been put in the Council's tax support scheme or about the Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support scheme.

To appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service, you can visit their website at http://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/CTReduction.aspx or contact them at:

CTR Team
Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court
DW1 1PN                                                                      

Telephone: 0300 1231033