Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
Council Tax Support Scheme
All working age people who received council tax benefit are likely to have seen a change to the amount they received from 1 April 2013 under our Council Tax Support scheme.
The changes came about after the Government's 2010 Spending Review when it was announced that support for council tax would be localised (set by each local council across the UK).
We adopted a council tax support scheme following widespread consultation. The result of this consultation showed significant support (68%) for the council's scheme which retained all the protections contained in the Council Tax Benefit scheme whilst funding the savings required from a combination of reducing the support given to claimants of working age and using the additional income that we get from second homes in the borough.
Our council tax support scheme calculates entitlement in the same way as the previous Council Tax Benefit scheme with a 12% reduction applied for all claimants of working age
Claimants of pension age will not be affected by these changes. To check if you are pension credit age use the DWP Pension Credit Toolkit.
This only relates to council tax benefit, other council tax discounts such as single person discount or student discount will not be affected by these changes. See Council Tax Discounts.
For more information about how Council Tax Support is calculated see How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Calculated?
For more information download a full copy of our current Council Tax Support scheme 2014/2015 or contact 01200 425111.
Our Council Tax Support scheme started on 1 April 2013 see our Council Tax Support scheme for 2013/2014.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- You are here: Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013