Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

Current claim


If you currently receive Housing Benefit and / or Council Tax Support and there is a change in any of your personal circumstances, you must let us know as soon as possible.

Moving address

If the change in circumstance is due to a move of address then you should inform the benefits section as soon as possible. If you rent from a private landlord you will need to supply your new tenancy agreement.

If you have had other changes in your circumstances since last time you claimed then a new form should be completed.

Income support/Job Seekers Allowance has stopped

If Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Income Support has ceased then a new claim form should be completed and returned as soon as possible.

You should also provide proof of your new income and any savings you may have.

What happens if there are changes to the people living with me?

If you or your partner leave the household, then a new form should be completed by the person remaining in the home. It will be likely that your income will have changed and details and proof will be required.

If a non-dependant or a dependant leave the household, you need to contact us to let us know what date they left and their forwarding address.

This is also the case if a boarder, tenant, sub-tenant or carer leaves.

The service may not be able to remove someone from an address without details of their forwarding address and if you are unable to provide a forwarding address you will have to provide an explanation.

We need to be informed of all changes in your circumstances as soon as possible. If you delay, you may lose benefit.

In all cases it is your duty to notify us of all changes in circumstances.

What happens if there are changes in my income or savings?

If your savings and/or income has changed (not Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance) you should contact us, notify us either in writing or directly. We will require you to provide proof.  If you are in receipt of Pension Credits you will need to notify the Pension Service of any changes. You can contact them on 0845 6060 265.

What happens if there is a change in my rent?

If private rent charges change then you should confirm the rent changes in writing. Proof of the new rent level will be required.