Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
If you disagree with a decision we have made you have one calendar month to:
- Ask for an explanation
- Ask for the decision to be looked at again
- Appeal to an independent tribunal
If you still disagree you can ask us to look at the decision again. You must request this in writing within one calendar month of the date of the original decision. A different officer will look at your claim again and check that the decision is correct. We will then send you a letter to confirm the original decision or amend the decision if necessary. We will let you know in writing if there is a new decision and if you do not agree with this new decsion, you can ask us to look at it again.
If you still disagree you can appeal to an independent tribunal. If you appeal against a decision and after reconsideration we believe our decision was correct, the appeal will be heard by an appeal tribunal. You should appeal in writing giving full reasons for your appeal. All correspondence should be addressed to:
The Benefit Section
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Telephone: 01200 414453
We will write a response setting out the facts of the case and include copies of all relevant papers. The response and papers will be sent to you and any representative.
The tribunal is completely independent of the benefits section and is there to look at your case again and decide if we have made the correct decision.
For further information on the appeals process see HM Courts and Tribunal Service.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund ?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- You are here: What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013