Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit


If you disagree with a decision we have made you have one calendar month to:

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Ask for the decision to be looked at again
  • Appeal to an independent tribunal
If you disagree with, or do not understand the notification letter you can contact us for a more detailed explanation.  You can get in touch with us by telephone, in writing or by calling into the office.  We will explain how we made the decision and what information was used.  If we put the explanation in writing this is called a "statement of reasons."

If you still disagree you can ask us to look at the decision again.  You must request this in writing within one calendar month of the date of the original decision.  A different officer will look at your claim again and check that the decision is correct. We will then send you a letter to confirm the original decision or amend the decision if necessary.  We will let you know in writing if there is a new decision and if you do not agree with this new decsion, you can ask us to look at it again.

If you still disagree you can appeal to an independent tribunal.  If you appeal against a decision and after reconsideration we believe our decision was correct, the appeal will be heard by an appeal tribunal.  You should appeal in writing giving full reasons for your appeal.  All correspondence should be addressed to:

The Benefit Section
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Council Offices
Church Walk

Telephone: 01200 414453

We will write a response setting out the facts of the case and include copies of all relevant papers.  The response and papers will be sent to you and any representative.

The tribunal is completely independent of the benefits section and is there to look at your case again and decide if we have made the correct decision.

For further information on the appeals process see HM Courts and Tribunal Service. 

If you require help with an appeal you can contact Citizens Advice Bureau or Welfare Rights Service