Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
What is Second Adult Rebate?
Second Adult rebate is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on the income of other people who live with you and are over 18 years old.
Would I be entitled to this if I don't qualify for Housing and Council Tax Support?
Yes, if you do not qualify for assistance with your rent or Council Tax you may be eligible for second adult rebate based on the income of other adults in your property.
Some people who are part of your household and over the age of 18 are disregarded for Council Tax purposes and therefore we cannot award second adult rebate. If someone in your household is:
- a full time student
- severely Mentally impaired
- currently in prison
If you would like more information please contact 01200 414453.
The amount of second adult rebate that is granted depends on the gross income of other adults living in the property who are not your partner, not responsible for paying the rent or Council Tax.
Based on the income of the second adult you could be entitled to a 25%, 15% or 7.5% reduction from your annual Council Tax bill.
From 1st April 2013 Second Adult Rebate will consist of a 8.5 % reduction for 2013. Claimants who are pension age will not be affected by the change. To check if you are pension credit age use the DWP Pension Credit Toolkit.
Pages in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support
- Housing and Council Tax Support
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- How is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculated?
- How to claim
- Current claim
- You are here: What is Second Adult Rebate?
- What are discretionary housing payment and Council Tax Support discretionary fund?
- When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?
- What happens if I am awarded benefit and I have a change in my circumstances?
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit
- What to do if you disagree with a decision for Council Tax Support
- The Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Information from the Department of Work & Pensions regarding changes to Housing Benefit from April 2011
- Housing Benefit Change for Some Single People
- Changes to the Benefit System as of April 2013