Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be paid?


Benefit payments over Christmas and New Year

There will be no change to the day you receive your benefit over Christmas and New Year.

If you think that you may be entitled to benefit please apply straight away as if you delay applying you may loose benefit. Benefit is normally paid from the Monday following receipt of the claim. Benefit cannot normally be backdated unless you can satisfy us that you had good cause for not claiming earlier.

If you are a Housing Association tenant your housing benefit can be paid directly to your landlord but we require confirmation from yourself and your landlord that you agree to direct payments being made.

If you are a private tenant not covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations (existing claims before 07/04/08) housing benefit can be paid direct to your landlord but we will need signed confirmation from you both.

Most claims made on or after 07/04/08 are covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations and payments are made to the tenant.  There are a few exceptions to safeguard vulnerable groups, please see page 14 below for more details.

In all cases payment of housing benefit is made four weekly in arrears and usually paid straight into a bank account on a Thursday and should be in the account on the following Monday. Housing Benefit payments by cheque are normally posted on Wednesday by second class post.

Awards of council tax benefit are credited directly to your council tax account and a new bill will be issued with revised payment details.