Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Building Control Service

Party Wall Act

Building work being carried out close to your site boundary

(Part Wall Act)

The Part Wall Act applies if you are indending to carry out building work which involves one of the following categories:

  • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property;
  • building a free standing wall or the wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property;
  • excavating near a neighbouring building;
You must find out whether that work falls within the Act. If it does then you must notify all adjoining owners.

The Local Authority does not administer the Party Wall Act. You are advised to read the Party Wall Act explanatory booklet and consult with your professional advisor.