Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Building Control Service

What type of work requires Building Regulation Approval?

image In general, most building work needs formal approval and the type of work covered includes the:
  • erection of a new building or re-erection of an existing building
  • extension of a building
  • material alteration of a building
  • material change of use of a building
  • installation, alteration or extension of a controlled service or fitting to a building

More information about making an application.

Typical examples of work needing approval include:

  • home extensions such as for a kitchen, bedroom, lounge
    loft conversions
  • internal structural alterations such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or partition,installation of baths, showers, WCs which involve new drainage or waste plumbing, installation of new heating appliances other than electric
  • new chimneys or flues
  • underpinning of foundations
  • alterations that affect the building's means of escape or fire precautions
  • altered openings for new windows in roofs or walls
  • replacing roof coverings unless exactly 'like for like' repair
  • installation of cavity insulation
  • erection of new buildings that are not exempt
  • access improvements for disabled people
  • replacement windows & doors (unless the contractor is FENSA registered)
  • electrical work in dwellings (including electrical work in detached garages, sheds and external lighting)

Exemptions to the Building Regulations

There are certain buildings and work that are exempt from control.  This is generally because they are buildings controlled by other legislation and include:

  • buildings not frequented by people
  • greenhouses and agricultural buildings
  • temporary buildings (less than 28 days)
  • small detached buildings such as small detached garages

If you are in any doubt please contact us with details of your particular question or exemption claim so that you obtain a written reply agreeing the exemption. This will help any future sale of the property.