Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Building Control Service

Electrical Safety


Electrical Safety in Dwellings

All new electrical wiring in dwellings, extensions, including outbuildings need to comply with Building Regulation requirements and must be carried out by persons who are competent to do the work. Failure to obtain the necessary documentation to certify new or altered electrical circuits could result in enforcement action being taken against the householder.

All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling will need to be either carried out by a fully qualified electrical contractor who is registered within a "Competent Persons Scheme" run by one of five professional bodies or installed by a person who will obtain a test and installation certificate and provide the necessary documentation to the Local Authority. Persons registered under the "Competent Persons Scheme" will be fully qualified electrical contractors with the ability to install and thoroughly check a circuit for safety. They will be able to issue Building Regulations Certificates showing compliance with part P to the Local Authority.

Small jobs such as replacing a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to a building control body (although all electrical work within kitchens and bathrooms will require formal certification).

Routes to safe electrical installations

To notify or not

New Building Regulations Part P

Part P Supplementary Building Regulation application form

New rules for electrical safety in the home