Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Home Safety

Electrical safety in the home

Extending your electrical installation in your home

If you are planning to extend or alter the electrical installation in your home, such as providing extra sockets in the kitchen, or adding new ceilings lights please do not attempt the installation yourself without supervision. From January 2005 you may be breaking the law.

The new electrical safety law - Part P

This comes into force on this date which aims to tighten up electrical safety in the home by clamping down on unqualified electricians and on DIY homeowners doing unsafe electrical work.

Part P of the Building Regulations requires that fixed electrical installations (i.e. wiring) in dwellings shall be suitably designed, installed, inspected and tested so as to provide reasonable protection against the installation becoming the source of a fire or a cause of injury to persons.

If you decide to go ahead

All proposed electrical installation work in dwellings (including extensions and detached buildings) needs to be notified to the Local Authority under Building Regulations before work commences unless the proposed work is to be undertaken by a prescribed competent person (an individual or a firm authorised by the Secretary of State to self-certify compliance with The Building Regulations. For more information contact building.control@ribblevalley.gov.uk 01200 425111.