Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Anti Social Behaviour

Anti Social Behaviour

image The Crime and Disorder Act describes Anti Social Behaviour as any action that can cause alarm, harassment or distress to any person not living in the same household.

Anti Social Behaviour

  • Intimidating groups in public places
  • Dog fouling
  • Drug dealing and abuse
  • Graffiti
  • Vandalism
  • Noise Nuisance
  • Litter
  • Fly tipping
  • Verbal abuse
  • Harassment
  • Vehicle nuisance i.e. inappropriate driving, abandoned vehicles and inconsiderate parking

There can be other types of anti social behaviour.

Neighbour nuisance

What can I do if I have a problem with my neighbours?

Whenever possible you should try to solve a neighbour dispute yourself. Often the best way to do this is to talk to your neighbour and try to explain clearly and simply the problems you are experiencing as a result of their behaviour.

Ribble Valley Borough Council has produced a series of leaflets that offer guidance and information about resolving these problems. These leaflets can be downloaded below.

What if the problem continues?

Conflict and aggression can often inflame situations. If the persons responsible continue to be unreasonable, walk away. As a result of work carried our locally several agencies now take direct responsibility to tackle anti social behaviour, this form of partnership ensures that when problems arise all information is available and the appropriate action is carried out.

How do I make a complaint?

Tenants should initially contact their Housing Officer, whether this is for council owned property, housing association or a registered social landlord.

Ribble Valley Homes 01200 421221

Cases of criminal nature should be directed to the Police who have a responsibility to investigate crime. Contact numbers for Police Officers

Environmental Health 01200 414464

If the complaint is regarding violence or threats of violence, or other serious issues, or there is a crime in progress, then the complaint must be referred to the Police on 101. Always use 999 in emergencies.