Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Ribble Valley Crime and Disorder Partnership

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. I feel a little vulnerable because my next door neighbour has had a burglary. Where can I get some crime prevention advice for my home, vehicle and family?
A. You can contact your Police Crime Prevention Officer on 01200 458711 or visit www.lancashire.police.co.uk for advice.

Q. A house down the road is playing loud music most nights until 4.00am and it's keeping my family awake. Who can I report this to?
A. You can report it to the Police on 08451 253545 or contact the Council's Environmental Health department on 01200 414464 for advice.

Q. The back yard of the house down the road is filthy. It's full of general rubbish and an old settee. Who can I speak to?
A. You can contact the Council's Environmental Health department on 01200 414464.

Q. How do I set up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in my area?
A. The police employs a Neighbourhood Watch Administrator who can be contact on 08451 253545. They can provide guidance and support in setting up new schemes or you can find out if your home is already part of an existing scheme.

Q. It's 9.00pm and I've just noticed that a street light in not working on my road. I'm, afraid that someone might break into my car. Who can I report it to?
A. You can report it to Lancashire County Council free at any time on 0800 132631.

Q. I've noticed recently that the pub down the road is serving alcohol to very young people who then get drunk and cause a nuisance. Who can I speak to about it?
A. You can contact the Council's Licensing Officer on 01200 414554 or write to

Environmental Health,
Ribble Valley Borough Council,
Church Walk,
BB7 2RA.

You can also contact Lancashire County Council's Trading Standards department at www.lancashire.gov.uk/tradingstandards

Q. Cars are speeding down my street and someone is going to get run over. Who can I contact to report these cars?
A. If you feel that cars are speeding along your road, you can contact the Police on 08451 235545 or contact Lancashire County Council at www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/roadsafety or the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) at www.rospa.co.uk or the Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety (LPRS) at www.safe2travel.co.uk for advice.

Q. Groups of young people are hanging about outside my house, which makes me afraid to go out. They are loud and write on the side of my house. What can I do?
A. You can speak to your local Police Community Beat Manager on 01200 443344, Community Safety Officer on 01200 458711 or contact your local Councillor or ring the Council about the graffiti on 01200 425111.

Q. I'm suffering domestic violence at home and I don't know where to turn for help?
A. You can contact the Hyndburn & Ribble Valley Domestic Violence Outreach team on 01254 879855 (daytime) or Lancashire Constabulary on 08451 253545 for advice and reporting. You can also ring the National Domestic Violence 24 hour helpline on Freephone 0800 200 247.

Q. My next door neighbours' hedges have grown as high as my house and they are blocking out the light in my home. He is refusing the cut them down. What can I do?
A. You can get advice from the RVBC Countryside Officer on 01200 414505

Q. Where can I find out about Anti Social Behaviour Orders (ASBO's)?
A. You can visit www.gov.uk/asbo for more information and guidance.

Q. There are drug dealers living on my street, but I don't want to tell the police or give my details, where can I turn?
A. You can report criminal activity anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Q. I'm moving into the area and want to find out about crime rates and areas of deprivation. Where can I find this information?
A. You can visit the MADE public website in Lancashire at www.saferlancashire.co.uk/statistics to view figures by ward or postcode.

  1. Ribble Valley Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership
  2. You are here: Frequently Asked Questions