Council Tax Discounts
The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults aged 18 or over living in a property. If there is only one adult living there as their main home, the Council Tax will be reduced by 25%. This is known as a single person discount complete single person discount form online or download the Single Person Discount form PDF.
If a property is no one's sole or main residence the bill will be reduced by 10% if it is furnished (second home) or 50% if it has been unfurnished for more than 6 months. Properties that are furnished may be entitled to a 50% reduction if they are job-related. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01200 414425 if you think your property is job-related.
We will reduce Council Tax by 100% for the first six months that a property is unoccupied and unfurnished. If it is in need of or undergoing major repair or renovation work this discount can apply for up to 12 months.
Unoccupied furnished homes
If your property is not lived in by anyone as their main home, we will reduce your Council Tax bill by 10%. However, we may increase this discount if your job requires you to live somewhere else.
Councils are able to grant discretionary discounts in exceptional circumstances. If you believe that you should be given a discretionary discount as a result of your exceptional circumstances please submit your request in writing to the Revenues Section stating the reason why you believe a discount should be applied.
Certain people will be disregarded and not counted as resident adults if they are:
- full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees Council Tax Student Discount form or download the Council Tax disregard for students PDF form.
- patients resident in hospital.
- people who are being looked after in care homes.
- people who are severely mentally impaired (your doctor will be required to provide a certificate). Download the Disregard for severely mentally Impaired form.
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters.
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or have just left school or college. Download school leavers disregard form.
- care workers working for low pay, usually for charities.
- people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18.
- members of visiting forces and certain international institutions and their dependants.
- members of religious communities (monks and nuns). Council Tax discount for members of religious commuities online form or download the PDF Disregard for memebrs of religious communities form .
- people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax, Community Charge or fine) (Download Council Tax exemption for persons in detention PDF form). or complete Council Tax exemption for persons in detention online form.
- dependants of foreign students and non-British spouses of foreign students.
- people aged over 18 where Child Benefit is still payable (PDF form) or Complete Council Tax discount (persons aged 18 years) online form
If you think you may be entitled to a discount please contact the Council on telephone number (01200) 425111 or e-mail email@example.com
Your current bill indicates if a discount is already being allowed.
You must tell us of any change in circumstance which would affect your entitlement.