Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Rights of Way - Law

Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 powers are given to councils to make extinguishment and diversion orders in order to enable development for which planning permission has been granted to be carried out.

Please note however, that the power to divert rights of way cannot be applied after development has been carried out in order to deal with inconvenient public rights of way.

Highways Act 1980
Under the Highways Act a local authority can also make an extinguishment order or a diversion order where not affected by a planning application.