Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Animal Welfare

Animal welfare


General service provided

Cruelty to animals - who should you call.

If you suspect that an animal of any kind is being subjected to any form or cruelty then the only organisation that can legally deal with this is the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) link to external website to contact the National Cruelty Helpline 0870 5555 999.

The Local Authority has formal links with the Department of Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) link to external website in enforcing national legislation governing the health and welfare of farm animals. This includes responding to complaints of neglect or ill treatment of livestock on farms, during transport, at markets, etc.

The identification and registration schemes that are in place to control animal movements are also overseen by the Local Authority, along with the issuing of animal movement licences for on farm movements and movement to slaughter.

If you would like information on animal boarding licences contact louise.hilton@ribblevalley.gov.uk  or 01200 414557.