Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Food Premise Registration

Register a Food Business


Who needs to register?

If you run a food business for more than five days in any five consecutive weeks, you must tell the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before opening.

Application for Food Premises Registration 

You can apply online through the GOV.UK website for the following food premises licences:

Alternatively you can download and complete the Registration form for food premises.

Exempt premises

Certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact your local authority if you think you might be exempt, contact Environmental Health on 01200 414464.

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

We operate the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme in the Ribble Valley. All food businesses are inspected and rated. For more information see Food Hygiene Rating Information for Businesses.

All food businesses must operate Safer Food Better Buisness document recording. These packs are available from the Food Standards Agency www.food.gov.uk/sfbb