Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Street Trading

Notes for applicants



If you wish to trade in the street in the Ribble Valley after 1st May 1993, you must first obtain a Consent from this council.

If you do not have a Consent, or if you trade in a place or at at time not permitted by a consent, you will be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of up to £400.00.  If you breach any other conditions of a consent, it may be revoked by the Council.  The granting and revoking of consents is at the absolute direction of the Council

Applications must be in writing on the attached form, and must be accompanied by a fee as indicated in Appendix 1.  The fee is returnable if the application is refused. If granted, the consent will be subject to standard conditions which are detailed in Appendix 2.

If you cease to use your Consent, it may be surrendered and the whole or a proportion of the fee may be refunded.

If you propose to sell hot or cold food, the Environment Health Division can advise you on what steps you must take to comply with the relevant food hygiene legislation.  If you have not previously operated in the Council's area, your unit must be inspected prior to trading.

In addition to obtaining a Street Trading Consent, you may require additional permission from this Council's Planning Department (please contact the Planning Enforcement Officer) and from Lancashire County Council Highways and the Police Department.  A copy of this application will be forwarded to the  other Authorities automatically.

Marshal Scott

Chief Executive.