Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Planning - Residential

Permitted Development Rights


If you live in a house (rather than a flat or caravan), you can sometimes make certain types of minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission.

This facility is known as Permitted Development Rights (PDR). They derive from general planning permission granted by Parliament.  Not every home has permitted development rights. If you need to find out whether they apply to you, please come into the planning department to search the archives or pay us to carry out a PD search using the appropriate form for a Site History/PD search

In some areas even those buildings which do have permitted development rights are still restricted.  If you live in a Conservation Area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty you will need planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if you house is a Listed Building or even if it is close to one.

You should also check whether your permitted development rights have been withdrawn.   Some buildings, such as some barn conversions and new housing estates have no permitted development rights as they have been withdrawn before the house was built.  Many planning decisions for extensions or alterations also include a condition removing permitted development rights so that all further work needs a formal planning application.  To find out whether your rights have been removed or not, you will need to make a search of the planning archives to find all of the application numbers which apply to your property, and then read each condition on every decision notice to see which restrictions have been imposed.  Generally your solicitor or conveyancer should do this when you buy your home, as part of your local search.

  1. Planning permission
  2. You are here: Permitted Development Rights
  3. How to apply for planning permission