Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Commenting on an application

When can I comment on an application?


We ask that all comments are received within 21 days of the date on the neighbour notification letters that we send, however in some instances if the application has not yet been determined it may possible to comment after 21 days.

If an application is being taken to Planning and Development Committee we can only accept comments up to the day before the date of the meeting.  Comments received after this may not reach the planning officers in time for them to make the councillors aware of your views.

To make sure that we take your comments in to consideration please do not leave it until the last moment to forward them to us.  Once an application has been determined your observations cannot form part of our determination process. 

Even if you have commented on a previous application on the same site we must receive your opinions again for the current application if you wish them to be considered.

You can put any comments you wish in your letter, but be aware that your response will be available to be seen by anyone who wishes to (including the applicant).   Although all of your comments will be noted, it is better if you confine yourself to commenting on the application, rather than making comments about the applicant, and you should try to make sure that your response is a material planning consideration (examples of non-material considerations are loss of a view, or devaluation of your property, whereas loss of light, highway safety, noise or privacy issues are classified as material considerations).

Planning application files are public information and therefore any comments that you submit to us are also public information.  Anyone who wishes to see the file (including the applicant) will always be able to see your comments.  All planning files, including old ones going back to 1948 are always availble to view at the Planning Department, Level D, Council Offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe, BB7 2RA.

Alternatively you can contact us to submit your comments.