Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council


How do I Know if its Damp or Condensation

Condensation is different to penetrating damp, which is caused by water getting into the house from outside, usually through windows, doors or roofs.

Dampness of this nature is often easier to deal with than condensation as repairing the defect in the roof, doors or window can cure it.

Rising damp occurs if there is a problem with the damp proof course (the barrier built in floors and walls to stop moisture rising through the house from the ground).

The usual evidence for this is a 'tidemark' on the walls. There can also be a musty smell.

  1. What is Condensation
  2. You are here: How do I Know if its Damp or Condensation
  3. Why do I need to worry about condensation and damp?
  4. How Do I Solve the Problem?