Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Pollution Control

Local Authority Pollution, Prevention and Control

Local Air Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC) is a regulatory regime for controlling pollution from certain industrial activities. Ribble Valley Borough Council is responsible for issuing permits and inspecting all Part A2 (LA-IPPC) and Part B (LAPPC) installations within district.

The piece of legislation covering the regime is the Environmental Permitting Regualtions (EPR) 2010. Details of EPR can be found on Department for Food, Environmental and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) website.

The regulators

The industrial activities caught by the Pollution Prevention Control element of the Environmental Permitting Regulations are split into three categories and are regulated by two different regulators:

  • Part A(1) - The Environment Agency

The Environment Agency regulates what is considered to be the most polluting of the three industrial categories, A(1) activities. These are regulated for multi-media emissions such as air, land, water and other environmental considerations.

  • Part A(2) and Part B - Local authorities

Local authorities regulate the comparatively less polluting Part A(2) activities (multi-media regulation) and the lesser polluting Part B activities (these are regulated for emissions to air only).


Any person operating a process that requires a permit must submit an application form, with a fee, to the local authority. The authority must then issue an authorisation in accordance with government guidance. The operator of the prescribed process must comply with the conditions of the permit and they will be subject to inspection by the authority to ensure this is the case.

Do I need a permit?

If you are an operator of a business and are unsure whether you need a permit, then please contact us at environmental.health@ribblevalley.gov.uk or  01200 414464

Is there a fee?

There are fees associated with applications, together with ongoing subsistence charges. These are set each year by DEFRA.

Do you have a list of all the permitted installations in Ribble Valley and can I see it?

Download the list of all current permitted installations regulated by the Council. Details of all installations regulated by the Environment Agency including Castle Cement and Johnson Matthey are availble from the Environment Agency website or on 0800 807060.

Can I see the public register of permitted installations?

Ribble Valley Borough Council maintains a public register of all the permitted installations in the borough. The public register is available for inspection Monday - Friday 8.45am - 5.00pm  at the Council Offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe, BB7 2RA. If you would like to view details of a particular installation, then please contact the Environmental Health Department to arrange to view the documents.

Contact details

For more information, please contact the Environemntal Health Department on 01200 414464 or email  environmental.health@ribblevalley.gov.uk