Constitution and Code of Conduct etc.
Part Three of the Constitution: Powers and Delegation
The documents in Part Three of the Council's Constitution deal with delegation.
Part 3(1) deals with the powers of the council and of its committees including the division of responsibilities for functions between the (full) Council and its committees. It also includes a political structure chart.
Part 3(2) deals with delegation to officers and explains the roles of the Council's key officers.
A new version of this document, incorporating all changes made since March 2012, will be considered by Full Council at its May 2013 Annual Meeting.
The documents which make up this part explain:
- The functions which may be exercised only by the authority itself;
- The roles of the committees which have been appointed by the Council in accordance with section 101 of the Local Government Act 1972 including the membership, terms of reference and functions of such committees or sub-committees;
- The arrangements for the operation of the Council's overview and scrutiny committee including its terms of reference and membership and the rules governing the exercise of its functions;
- The role of the Council's Standard's Committee including its terms of reference, membership and functions;
- A protocol and terms of reference for the Council's emergency committee; and
- The constitution for the Parish Liaison Committee.
This part of the Council's constitution contains:
- A description of the roles of officers of the Council including the management structure for officers of the Council;
- The arrangements made for the discharge of functions by officers of the authority;
- The roles and functions of the head of paid service, monitoring officer and chief finance officer (please see the Articles, in Part 2, for further information on this aspect);
- A description of those powers of the Council which for the time being are exercisable by an officer of the Council (the Officer delegation scheme).
The following documents are available as downloads:
- The Management Structure A structure chart showing the Chief Executive, the Directors and the service managers within each directorate.
- Scheme of delegation of Development Control and Countryside Matters. This was last updated on 12 January 2012.
Pages in Constitution and Code of Conduct etc.
- The Council and its Constitution
- Local Code of Conduct Complaints Process
- Parts One and Two of the Constitution: the Introduction/Summary and the Articles
- You are here: Part Three of the Constitution: Powers and Delegation
- Parts Four and Five of the Constitution: the Standing Orders and the Rules on Access to meetings etc.
- Part Six of the Constitution: Financial and Legal Regulations and Procedures
- Part Seven of the Constitution: Codes of Conduct and policies etc. for the Council's members and officers