Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Consultation and Customer Satisfaction

Ribble Valley's Citizens' Panel - what is it and how to get involved?

Ribble Valley's Citizens' Panel was set up in 2004 to enable the Council and its partners to access the views of Ribble Valley people on issues of concern. The results are used to develop policies and strategies, inform decision-making, and identify where service improvements are required.

Ribble Valley Citizens' Panel currently has over 800 members who were recruited randomly and subsequently agreed to take part in the panel.  We try to ensure that the panel is representative of the adult population of the Borough, with some members retiring and others joining at periodic intervals.

The Ribble Valley Citizens' Panel has joined with the Citizens' Panels in Hyndburn, Pendle, Burnley and Rossendale to form the East Lancashire Citizens' Panel (Feedback). Members are sent approximately two East Lancashire-wide surveys and two Ribble Valley-only surveys each year.

The panel is managed by our consultation partnership, In:fusion Research, and Kris Barker, who is based at Pendle Borough Council.

Join the Citizens' Panel

Would you like to influence Ribble Valley Borough Council's policies and services? We are currently looking for new panel members. We are particularly short of people under 45 years of age, and especially those aged between 16 and 24. Intrested? call Kris on 01282 661614.

  1. Customer Satisfaction
  2. Consultation in Partnership
  3. You are here: Ribble Valley's Citizens' Panel - what is it and how to get involved?
  4. Citizens' Panel Newsletters
  5. Current Surveys