Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Data protection and freedom of information

Freedom of Information, the EIR, and Data Protection


The Freedom of Information Act (the FOIA) established a right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities (such as the Ribble Valley Borough Council).

Subject to a range of exemptions, it imposes obligations on such authorities to disclose information.

The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (the EIR) provide similar (although slightly broader) rights of access to environmental information held by public authorities.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA) individuals have the right to access their own information (i.e. personal data about them) held on computer and in specific manual files. The FOIA extends these rights to allow access to all types of information which public bodies hold, whether personal or non-personal.

The DPA therefore provides a general right of access to personal data.  It also controls the processing of personal data by prescribing certain data protection principles (of "good information handling") and imposing a duty on those who control personal data to comply with these principles.

Please make sure that we will hold the information you are requesting. Some services are provided by Lancashire County Council or local Town and Parish Councils. Find out which local authority do you need? 

The pages below contain further information on each the following, including guidance on how to submit a request to Ribble Valley Borough Council:

  • The Freedom of Information Act 2000;
  • The Environmental Information Regulations 2004;
  • The Data Protection Act 1998; and
  • Ribble Valley Borough Council's (Information Legislation) Fees Policy.