Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

House to House and Street Collections

Street Collection

It is illegal to hold a street collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without obtaining a street collection licence from the Council.

A street collection permit is needed to hold a public charitable collection in a street or other public place. Only local authorities issue street collection licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act.

There is no fee for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying. Street collections must be for a charitable purpose but do not need to be by a registered charity. Money is collected in tins. Regulations govern this type of collection. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities

The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Street Collection Application Form

Street Collection Regulations


  1. How to apply for a house to house collecton permit
  2. You are here: Street Collection