The Scrap Metal Dealers' Act 2013
The Scrap Metal Licence
Scrap metal dealers operating in Ribble Valley without a licence face fines of up to £5,000 under new laws designed to stamp out metal theft.
The majority of the provisions of the Act come into force on 1 October 2013.
The Act repeals the previous regulatory regime contained in the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964, and introduces a licensing regime under which:
- No person may carry on business as a scrap metal dealer unless authorised by a licence under the Act; and
- Introduces an offence for failure to comply with this, which is punishable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale (currently £5,000).
Application and guidance
All applications can be submitted by downloading and completing the scrap metal dealers' licence application form.
You can also apply for a scrap metal dealers' licence through the GOV.UK website:
The Home Office has produced detailed guidance on scrap metal licences and the application process.
- Application/Renewal of Site Licence - £277
- Variation of Site Licence - £180
- Application/Renewal of Collector's Licence - £200
- Variation of Mobile Collector's Licence - £160