Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Hackney Carriage Information

Hackney Carriage (Taxi)

Hackney carriages (or "taxis") are public transport vehicles which are licensed to "ply for hire".

They can:

  • carry passengers for hire or reward;
  • be hailed by prospective passengers in the street; and
  • park on a rank to await the approach of passengers.

A hackney carriage must be driven by a driver who holds a hackney carriage driver's licence.

Hackney carriage vehicles can be found at the ranks around Clitheroe and they can be hailed in the street. These vehicles have a roof light with the word TAXI on them. They have a blue plate affixed to the rear and a smaller version affixed to the windscreen which carry details of the expiry date, licence number and vehicle registration.

Hackney carriage (taxi) licencing

There are two types of hackney carriage licence:

Licence for a hackney carriage/taxi vehicle

Once licensed, a taxi is always a taxi until the licence expires. Before a vehicle is licensed it must pass an MOT and garage test to ensure its safety.

Taxi vehicle licences are issued subject to certain conditions.

Licence for a hackney carriage/taxi driver

All drivers in the Ribble Valley have to take a driver's test before they can obtain a licence. Guidance notes for persons applying to take the Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Driver's Test are available upon request.

Taxi driver's licences are issued subject to certain conditions.


In addition to the licence conditions, the Hackney Carriage byelaws must be complied with. 

Information on the hackney carriage vehicles and drivers that are already licensed to operate in the Ribble Valley is available on our Public Register.

Infringement Scheme

The Council has an Infringement Points Scheme in place. This scheme will apply to all private hire (and hackney carriage) drivers and vehicles, and operators that are licensed by the Ribble Valley Borough Council.