Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Private Hire Vehicles Information

Private hire vehicles (minicabs)

Private hire vehicles (or minicabs) are taxis which cannot ply for hire or stand in a rank. They must be pre-booked with a private hire operator i.e. through the operator usually by telephone.

The vehicles have door signs which state "Advanced bookings only". They have a yellow plate affixed to the rear and a smaller version affixed to the windscreen which carry details of the expiry date, licence number and vehicle registration. These vehicles are not insured to ply for hire.

Private hire vehicles have a maximum of eight passenger seats.

Private hire vehicle (minicab) licensing

There are three types of private hire licence:

Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab

Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab driver

Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab operator

Information on private hire vehicles, drivers and operators that are licensed to operate in the Ribble Valley can be found on the licensing Public Regitser.

Infringement Scheme

The Council has an Infringement Points Scheme in place. This scheme will apply to all private hire (and hackney carriage) drivers and vehicles, and operators that are licensed by the Ribble Valley Borough Council.


  1. You are here: Private hire vehicles (minicabs)
  2. Licence fees for private hire licences
  3. Vehicle and Driver Licences - relevant convictions