Private Hire Vehicles Information
Private hire vehicles (minicabs)
Private hire vehicles (or minicabs) are taxis which cannot ply for hire or stand in a rank. They must be pre-booked with a private hire operator i.e. through the operator usually by telephone.
The vehicles have door signs which state "Advanced bookings only". They have a yellow plate affixed to the rear and a smaller version affixed to the windscreen which carry details of the expiry date, licence number and vehicle registration. These vehicles are not insured to ply for hire.
Private hire vehicles have a maximum of eight passenger seats.
Private hire vehicle (minicab) licensing
There are three types of private hire licence:
Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence application form
- Application guidance notes for Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence Conditions
Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab driver
- Private Hire Driver's Licence Application form
- Application guidance notes for Private Hire Driver's Licence
- Private Hire Driver's Medical Form
- Private Hire Driver's Licence Conditions
Licence for a private hire vehicle/minicab operator
Information on private hire vehicles, drivers and operators that are licensed to operate in the Ribble Valley can be found on the licensing Public Regitser.
The Council has an Infringement Points Scheme in place. This scheme will apply to all private hire (and hackney carriage) drivers and vehicles, and operators that are licensed by the Ribble Valley Borough Council.
Pages in Private Hire Vehicles Information
- You are here: Private hire vehicles (minicabs)
- Licence fees for private hire licences
- Vehicle and Driver Licences - relevant convictions