Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
St Mary's Church Whalley
St Mary's and All Saints Whalley
The Domesday Book records that "the church of Saint Mary had in Wallei two carucates of land free of all custom", so it is likely that a church existed here in Saxon times. The existence of no less than 3 Anglo-Saxon crosses in the churchyard supports this view. It has been suggested that their Celtic style of decoration associates them with the visit of a mission from Iona in the C10 or C11.
The interior of the church itself is crammed full of interesting items and objects not least of all the pews and the choir stalls.
One of the most striking features is the oak roof embellished with beautifully carved bosses - it is difficult to believe that from 1764 to 1834 the roof was covered by plaster!
The choir stalls are undoubtedly the church's most beautiful possession. They were originally carved in the 15th Century but were brought into the church after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Not to be missed are the misericords with superb medieval carvings, one of which depicts a warrior with discarded sword being beaten by his wife with a frying pan!
Also of note is the 13th Century "Priests Door" with a brass knocker which could have been used for the Right of Sanctuary.
The east window is a genealogical table in itself and contains the armorial bearings of many well-known families connected with the church. One of the most complete sets of parochial registers in existence, going back to 1538, is also kept at the church.
Summer:- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m and 2 - 4 p.m.
Winter:- 2 - 4 p.m.
Sunday 8.30 a.m., 10.30 a.m., Evensong 6.30 p.m.
Enquiries 01254 823249
Pages in Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
- You are here: St Mary's Church Whalley
- St Leonard's Church Downham
- St Mary's Church Gisburn
- St Peter and St Paul Bolton by Bowland Church
- St Andrew's Church Slaidburn
- St. Bartholomew's Church Chipping
- St Wilfred's Church Ribchester
- All Hallow's Church Great Mitton
- St. Helen's Church Waddington
- St Mary Magdelene Church Clitheroe
- St Lawrence's Church Longridge