Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
St Mary's Church Gisburn
Within this church there are varying styles of medieval architecture which blend to give it unique characteristics. Remains of Norman architecture exist in the tower and inside the church, with two huge round Norman piers that dominate the interior.
Other parts of the church are mainly from the later Gothic and perpendicular periods. In the south aisle is the Ribblesdale Chapel with several brass plaques and memorials to the Lister family who once lived at Gisburn Park.
Outside in the graveyard the memorial depicting a witch and her cauldron could be for the alleged witch Jennet Preston. Jennet was accused of casting a fatal spell on her employer Martin Lister, she was tried for murder and executed.
During daylight hours.
Sunday 9 a.m. Holy Communion 10.45 a.m. Evensong 6.30 p.m.
Pages in Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
- St Mary's Church Whalley
- St Leonard's Church Downham
- You are here: St Mary's Church Gisburn
- St Peter and St Paul Bolton by Bowland Church
- St Andrew's Church Slaidburn
- St. Bartholomew's Church Chipping
- St Wilfred's Church Ribchester
- All Hallow's Church Great Mitton
- St. Helen's Church Waddington
- St Mary Magdelene Church Clitheroe
- St Lawrence's Church Longridge