Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
All Hallow's Church Great Mitton
The first mention of a church here is in 1103 when Ralph the Red was rector - this was probably a wooden Saxon church, no trace of which has ever been found.
The present church was mainly built around 1270 in the Gothic style with thick walls and lancet windows, though the tower was a later addition.
Stepping inside the church the visitor is immediately aware of the nave which slopes from west to east due to the slope of the ground. Of particular interest is the 15th Century chancel screen believed to have come from nearby Sawley Abbey and the East Window a fine example of intersecting tracery.
The Sherburne Chapel was built for the local gentry family, set in the floor is a wooden trap door which covers the entry to their burial vault.
In the churchyard are a number of monuments including a 14th Century cross-head.
Sunday 2 - 5 p.m. (at other times a key is available from the verger's cottage next door to the church).
Sunday 9.30 a.m., 7 p.m. (4th Sunday only).
Pages in Historic Churches in Ribble Valley
- St Mary's Church Whalley
- St Leonard's Church Downham
- St Mary's Church Gisburn
- St Peter and St Paul Bolton by Bowland Church
- St Andrew's Church Slaidburn
- St. Bartholomew's Church Chipping
- St Wilfred's Church Ribchester
- You are here: All Hallow's Church Great Mitton
- St. Helen's Church Waddington
- St Mary Magdelene Church Clitheroe
- St Lawrence's Church Longridge