Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Conservation Areas

Conservation Advice


Within the Ribble Valley are a number of Conservation Areas upon which special guidelines are in place to preserve the area's character.

To see if your property lies within a Conservation Area please examine the plans showing the new boundaries which are also available to view on Level D reception in the Council offices.

In Conservation Areas we must give special attention to preserving or enhancing the character of the Area. Our policies outlined in the Districtwide Local Plan allow us to do this.

It should also be noted that the permitted amount of development is considerably reduced for properties in Conservation Areas. Development such as domestic extensions to the side of your property, or the installation of solar panels or velux windows may require a planning application when houses in other areas would not need them.

If you think you might need Conservation Area consent:

  • Contact us tell our staff what you want to do and ask for their advice
  • If you know that you need Conservation Area Consent fill out an application form. These are also available from Level D reception in the Council Offices
  • Send the completed forms to us, together with the correct fee (the fee can now be calculated online) and all the necessary supporting documentation.