Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

External links and web resources

We have a growing database of resources and external links that you may find useful. Select a category from the list below.

Advice - Consumer

Financial Services Authority (FSA)

The FSA aims to maintain efficient, orderly and clean financial markets and help retail consumers achieve a fair deal.

Trading Standards Lancashire

Lancashire County Council Trading Standards provide information for consumers and businesses, schools, advice and information centres, community organisations, local councils, business support agencies and trade associations.

Advice - Legal

Children's Legal Centre

The Children's Legal Centre is a unique, independent national charity concerned with law and policy affecting children and young people. The Children's Legal Centre has many years of experience in providing legal advice and representation to children, their carers and professionals throughout the UK.

Compact Law

The leading law portal in the UK providing legal documents and services for English law.

Legal Aid

Legal aid can help you pay for legal advice, mediation or representation in court if you can’t afford it.
This could include help for housing, debt, work, family, benefits or education problems.
You can also get legal aid if you’re accused of a crime.

Advice and Benefits

Age UK

Age UK is the UK's largest organisation working with and for older people. They provide vital local services as well as influencing public opinion and government. Every day they are in touch with thousands of older people enabling them to make more of life.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB is an advice service, providing practical, impartial advice to help sort out problems and disagreements with suppliers of goods or services. Help and advice is offered to every single consumer in Great Britain who is buying or has bought goods or services.

Co-operative Mobility

Provides information and self assessment services for Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

The HMRC is here to ensure that everyone understands and receives what they are entitled to and understands and pays what they owe, so that everyone contributes to the UK's needs.

Social Security and Child Support Tribunal

The Appeals Service was formally launched on 3rd April 2000. The Service arranges and hears appeals on decisions on Social Security, Child Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Vaccine Damage, Tax Credit and Compensation Recovery, Child Tax Credit and Pensions Credit


GOV.UK: Businesses and self-employed

Information about starting up and running a business in the UK, including help if you're self employed or a sole trader.

Central Government

Cabinet Office

The Cabinet Office's role is to support the Government's delivery and reform programme.

Commission for Rural Communities

The Commission for Rural Communities aims to promote awareness of the social and economic needs of people who live and work in rural areas

Department For Business Innovation and Skills

The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) is the department for economic growth. The department invests in skills and education to promote trade, boost innovation and help people to start and grow a business.

Department For Communities and Local Government

We work to move decision-making power from central government to local councils. This helps put communities in charge of planning, increases accountability and helps citizens to see how their money is being spent.

Department For Culture, Media & Sport

The Department For Culture, Media & Sport aims to improve the quality of life for all cultural and sporting activities and through the strengthening of the tourism, creative and leisure industries.

Department For Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

Defra is the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on the environment, food and rural affairs.

Department For Health

Providing health and social care policy, guidance and publications. The Department of Health is committed to improving the quality and convenience of care provided by the NHS and social services. Its work includes setting national standards, shaping the direction of health and social care services and promoting healthier living.

Department For International Development

The Department for International Development (DFID) was established in 1997, as the successor to the Overseas Development Administration, previously part of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

Department For Transport

The Department for Transport works with agencies and partners to support the transport network that helps the UK’s businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country.

Department For Works & Pensions (DWP)

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for the Government's welfare reform agenda. Its aim is to promote opportunity and independence for all. It delivers support and advice through a modern network of services to people of working age, employers, pensioners, families and children and disabled people.

European Union

The European Union (EU) is a family of democratic European countries, committed to working together for peace and prosperity. It is not a State intended to replace existing states, but it is more than any other international organisation. Its Member States have set up common institutions to which they delegate some of their sovereignty so that decisions on specific matters of joint interest can be made democratically at European level.

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office provides a range of essential services to the public - from advising British travellers to issuing UK visas and promoting trade and investment opportunities overseas.

Her Majesty's Stationary Office

HMSO delivers a wide range of services to the public, information industry and government relating to access and re-use of government information.

HM Treasury

HM Treasury aims to raise the rate of sustainable growth and achieve rising prosperity and a better quality of life, with economic and employment opportunities for all.

Home Office

The Home Office is the Government department responsible for internal affairs in England and Wales.


This site provides the first one-stop portal for local authorities to get quick and easy access to information they need on the web sites of central government departments, agencies and public bodies.

Ministry Of Defence (MOD)

The purpose of the Ministry of Defence, and the Armed Forces, is to defend the United Kingdom, and Overseas Territories, our people and interests; act as a force for good by strengthening international peace and security.

Ministry Of Justice

The Ministry of Justice replaced the Department for Constitutional Affairs in May 2007. It is responsible in government for upholding justice, rights and democracy. They aim to empower citizens to obtain justice, safeguard their rights, and participate in a transparent and accountable democratic process.

Office Of The Leader Of The House Of Commons

This website highlights the many steps taken to give more accountable Government, enable Parliament to hold the executive to account and to provide the lively debate that every good democracy needs.

Stationary Office Official Documents

The Official Documents website contains a selection of Government titles covering a very broad range of topics including the economy, work and welfare, health, transport and the environment.

The British Monarchy

The official website of the British Monarchy.

UK Passport Service

The Identitiy and Passport service aims to assist new applicants and existing passport holders by providing information and online facilities for all aspects of application, renewal and amendments of passports for British nationals resident in the UK.

UK Trade & Investment

UK Trade & Investment's trade services offer support to companies based in the UK to achieve their export potential.

Charity Commission

Charity Commission for England and Wales

The Charity Commission is established by law as the regulator and registrar for charities in England and Wales. Our aim is to provide the best possible regulation of charities in England and Wales in order to increase charities' effectiveness and public confidence and trust.

Royal Voluntary Service

Royal Voluntary Service is a volunteer organisation that enriches the lives of older people and their families across Britain.

We support older people by giving time and practical help to help them get the best from life.

Community, People and Living

Awards for All

Awards for All is a Lottery grants scheme aimed at local communities, awarding grants of between £500 and £5,000 in a simple and straightforward way. Awards for All can fund projects that enable people to take part in art, sport, heritage and community activities, as well as projects that promote education, the environment and health in the local community.

Crime Reduction

The Crime Reduction Website provides information and resources for people working to reduce crime in their local area.


Crimestoppers operates across the UK to help identify, prevent, solve and reduce crime. This invaluable community service enables anyone with details of criminal activity to pass them on anonymously, without fear of exposure or retribution.

Council and Democracy

Audit Commission

Audit Commission is an independent public body responsible for ensuring that public money is spent economically, efficiently, and effectively in the areas of local government, housing, health, criminal justice and fire and rescue services.

Electoral Commission

An independent body that was set up by the UK Parliament in November 2000. It's aim is to increase public confidence in the democratic process within the United Kingdom - and encourage people to take part - by modernising the electoral process, promoting public awareness of electoral matters, and regulating political parties.

Local Government Ombudsman

You can use this website to make a complaint to the Ombudsman or to find out more about the Ombudsmen's work.

Development and Planning Services

Local Authority Building Control

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is dedicated to maintaining the highest standards in building design and construction. LABC is a publicly accountable, independent building control provider. Our aim is to assist you in producing high quality buildings that meet the minimum requirements of the Building Regulations in a time scale which keeps your costs to a minimum.

The Land Registry

The Land Registry guarantee the title to registered land in England and Wales and hold records for land ownership and interests.

The Planning Inspectorate

The Planning Inspectorate's main work is the processing of planning and enforcement appeals and holding inquiries into local development plans. They also deal with a wide variety of other planning related casework including listed building consent appeals, advertisement appeals, and reporting on planning applications.

The Planning Portal

The Planning Portal offers a wide range of services and guidance on the planning system.

Disabled Services

Disability Access Charter

The Disability Access Charter monitors and advises on services and facilities for disabled people in all kinds of venues from major factories and exhibition centres to health trusts and housing associations.

Equality and Human Rights

The Equality and Human Rigths Commission replaced the Disability Rights Commission in September 2007. Their role is to protect individuals against discrimination, to enforce the laws on eqaulity and to promotew fairness and human rights for everyone.

United Kingdom Disabled People's Council

The United Kingdom Disabled People's Council (UKDPC) was set up by disabled people in 1981 to promote full equality and participation within society. They are an umbrella organisation that represents 130 organisations run and controlled by disabled people.


Bullying UK

Bullying Online was founded in April 1999 by Liz Carnell and her son John, as a direct result of their experience of dealing with school bullying. They decided to share their knowledge with other parents and pupils and identified the Internet as the most cost effective medium. Bullying Online became a UK-registered charity in May 2000 and has four trustees.

Department for Education

The Department for Education was established with the purpose of creating opportunity, releasing potential and achieving excellence for all.

Lancashire Grid For Learning

The Lancashire Grid for Learning provides a variety of educational resources, content and managed services to support schools in maximising the benefits of technology to support teaching and learning.

National Institute of Adult Continuing Education

The National Institute of Adult Continuing Education (NIACE) aims to encourage all adults to engage in learning of all kinds.

Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)

Ofsted is a non-ministerial government department established under the Education (Schools) Act 1992 to take responsibility for the inspection of all schools in England. Its role also includes the inspection of local education authorities, teacher training institutions and youth work. During 2001, Ofsted became responsible for inspecting all 16-19 education and for the regulation of early years childcare, including childminders.

Skills Funding Agency

The Skills Funding Agency's mission is to ensure that people and businesses can access the skills training they need to succeed in playing their part in society and in growing England’s economy.

The School Curriculum

Curriculum Online is central to the Government's drive to transform teaching and learning in schools by improving access to ICT and multimedia resources for all pupils. This website exists to bring teaching professionals and multimedia resources together. It offers an easy, pinpoint searching through multimedia resources, aligned with the curriculum of subjects taught in schools in England.


UCAS is the central organisation that processes applications for full-time undergraduate courses at UK universities and colleges.


Lancashire Constabulary

Information on the Police force in Lancashire.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue

Fire service information and fire prevention and safety advice for Lancashire.


The Environment Agency

The leading public body responsible for protecting and improving the environment in England and Wales.


Health & Safety Executive

Britain's Health and Safety Commission (HSC) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are responsible for the regulation of almost all the risks to health and safety arising from work activity in Britain.

Health Protection Agency

The Health Protection Agency is a new national organisation for England and Wales. It is dedicated to protecting people's health and reducing the impact of infectious diseases, chemical hazards, poisons and radiation hazards. It brings together the expertise of health and scientific professionals.

NHS Choices

NHS Direct operates a 24-hour nurse advice and health information service, providing confidential information on what to do if you or your family are feeling ill; particular health conditions; local healthcare services, such as doctors, dentists or late night opening pharmacies, self help and support organisations.

Health and Social Care

Al-Anon Family Groups

Al-Anon Family Groups provide understanding, strength and hope to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else's drinking.

Family Rights Group

Family Rights Group (FRG) was established as a registered charity in 1974 to provide advice and support for families whose children are involved with social services. FRG works to improve the services received by these families.

Independent Living

The UK's leading site for disabled and elderly people, carers and healthcare professionals, with information, news, views and products.


Mencap is the UK's leading learning disability charity working with people with a learning disability and their families and carers. Mencap offers information and advice on a range of learning disability issues, provide support, including housing, education, employment and leisure activities and campaign to bring about positive changes in the people's lives.


Samaritans is available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.

The Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission replaced the Healthcare Commission, Commission for Social Care Inspection and the Mental Health Act Commission on 31st March 2009. It is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. Our aim is to make sure better care is provided for everyone, whether that's in hospital, in care homes, in pesople's own homes, or elsewhere. They regulate health and adult social care services, whether provided by the NHS, local authorities, private companies or voluntary organisations. And, we protect the rights of people detained under the Mental Health Act.


Abbeyfield Housing Society

The Abbeyfield Society is a UK-wide volunteer-led charity providing housing with care for older people.

Anchor Trust

Anchor Trust is a not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to helping older people to live safely, securely and independently with a choice of services to suit all needs.

Council House Exchange

Join the free online Forum of Council Exchanges, add your Home to the Council Exchange Community, view Exchanges and reply to ones of interest.

Home Group

Home Group provides a variety of affordable homes for rent and shared ownership throughout the North of England, Yorkshire and the Midlands.


A UK Housing Association & Local Authority Information Directory. Home of the AddressBook, a standalone database of HA & LA contact information for list building.


Riverside is one of the country's largest housing associations, providing homes for over 26,000 people through a range of affordable general needs, sheltered and supported housing services. Working in 168 different local authorities, it has established a positive reputation for working in partnership with other agencies.


Shelter is a national organisation with local solutions working to improve the lives of homeless and badly housed people. They provide free, professional and independent advice to over 100,000 people each year throughout England and Scotland.

Jobs and Careers

Jobcentre Plus

This site provides help and advice on job hunting and extra support, help and advice on making a claim for benefit, Information for organisations working with and alongside Jobcentre Plus.

The Prince's Trust

UK charity that helps young people overcome barriers and get their lives working.

Neighbouring Local Authorities

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council

The Web Site for Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.

Burnley Borough Council

The Web Site for Burnley Borough Council.

Craven District Council

The Web Site for Craven District Council.

Hyndburn Borough Council

This is a link to Hyndburn borough council.

Lancashire County Council

The Web Site for Lancashire County Council

Lancaster City Council

The Web Site for Lancaster City Council.

Pendle Borough Council

The Web Site for Pendle Borough Council.

Rossendale Borough Council

Rossendale borough council is the local council within the area of Rawtenstall and Bacup

South Ribble Borough Council

The Web Site for South Ribble Borough Council.


Sport England

Sport England is focused on helping people and communities across the country create a sporting habit for life.


English Heritage

English Heritage make sure that the historic environment of England is properly maintained and cared for. By employing some of the country's very best architects, archaeologists and historians, English Heritage aim to help people understand and appreciate why the historic buildings and landscapes around them matter.

Visit Lancashire

Tourism information for Lancashire.

Visit Ribble Valley

Tourism information for the Ribble Valley.

Transport and Streets

National Express

The UK's largest scheduled coach company.

National Rail

National Rail Enquiries (NRE) is the definitive source of information for all passenger rail services on the National Rail network in England, Wales and Scotland.

Traveline North West

A service which provides impartial journey planning information about all public transport services. At present it offers information based on details in published timetables.


National Grid

National Grid delivers around half the nation's energy needs through its 275,000km of pipework and runs Britain's national gas emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

United Utilities

United Utilities supply water services to Lancashire.