Flood Recovery Grants and Discounts

Community Recovery Grant - Storms Ciara and Dennis 2020

The Community Recovery Grant is a £500 grant payable to eligible households under the flood grant scheme detailed below:

Which households are eligible?

Eligible households are primary residences where:

  • Flood water entered into the habitable areas of the residence; or
  • Flood water did not enter into the habitable areas, but the local authority regards that the residence was otherwise considered unliveable for any period of time

Second homes will not be eligible
Empty homes will not be eligible
Instances where households might be considered unliveable include:

  • Where access to the property is severely restricted (e.g. upper floor flats with no access);
  • Key services such as sewerage, draining, and electricity are severely affected;
  • The adverse weather has resulted in other significant damage to the property such that it would be or would have been advisable for residents to vacate premises for any period of time, regardless of whether they do vacate or not;
  • Flooded gardens or garages will not usually render a household eligible but there may be exceptions where it could be demonstrated that such instances mean effectively that the property is unliveable.

Eligibility of Houses in Multiple Occupation, Flats and Student Accommodation

In general:

  • Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) will be considered as ‘one front door’ except where they are split for council tax purposes, in which case, each individual bill recipient will be eligible to receive the £500 community recovery grant provided they meet the criteria
  • Blocks of flats will be treated under the same principles as HMOs as detailed above
  • Student accommodation is not eligible

Tenanted Properties

Where a property was tenanted at the time of being flooded by Storm Ciara and/or Storm Dennis, the eligible claimant for this Community Recovery Grant would be the resident tenant rather than the property landlord.

How to Apply

The grant can be applied for by downloading and completing the grant application form. This will then need to be sent back to the council offices in Clitheroe. Scanned copies of the application form sent to contact@ribblevalley.gov.uk will be accepted.