Flood Recovery Grants and Discounts
Council Tax Flooding Discount Scheme - Storms Ciara and Dennis 2020
This scheme applies where domestic properties have been flooded as a result of Storm Ciara and/or Storm Dennis in the Ribble Valley.
How much council tax discount will I get and who is eligible?
- 100% Council Tax discount for a minimum of 3 months, or while anyone is unable to return home if longer, for primary residences where:
- Flood water entered into the habitable areas; or
- Flood water did not enter into the habitable areas, but the local authority regards that the residence was otherwise considered unliveable for any period of time.
- 100% Council Tax discount on temporary accommodation for anyone unable to return to their home, in parallel with the discount on their primary residence where applicable. NB This discount will only apply where the temporary accommodation is in the Ribble Valley.
Second homes will not be eligible
Empty homes will not be eligible
Instances where households might be considered unliveable could include:
- where access to the property is severely restricted (e.g. upper floor flats with no access);
- key services such as sewerage, draining, and electricity are severely affected;
- the adverse weather has resulted in other significant damage to the property such that it would be, or would have been, advisable for residents to vacate the premises for any period of time, regardless of whether they do vacate or not;
- flooded gardens or garages will not usually render a household eligible but there may be exceptions where it could be demonstrated that such instances mean effectively that the property is unliveable.
Where a property is affected by flooding as a result of both Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis, the two discount periods will run concurrently.
Properties that are unoccupied for more than 3 months
A 100% Council Tax discount will apply to all properties that have been flooded or rendered unliveable due to the flooding and which remain unoccupied for more than 3 months as a result of the flooding.
- The discount will apply for the period the property remains unoccupied and unliveable
- The discount will cease on reoccupation of the premises.
- An application to extend the discount beyond 3 months will be required to be made to Ribble Valley Borough Council.
This also applies to any parallel discount that has been applied where residents have been required to move into temporary accommodation.
How to apply?
The discount can be applied for by downloading and completing the discount application form. This will then need to be sent back to the council offices in Clitheroe. Scanned copies of the application form sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will be accepted.