Ribble Valley Borough Council's website uses cookies to store information on your computer. We use cookies to improve our website and some cookies are essential for parts of the website to work. If you continue to browse ribblevalley.gov.uk we'll assume that you agree to receive cookies used by this site. To find out more about the cookies we use see our cookie notice.

Ribble Valley Borough Council

Licensing Act 2003 (alcohol, entertainment etc.)

Personal Licences


Who needs to apply for a personal licence?

Under the Licensing Act 2003 alcohol can only be sold or supplied in licensed premises (other than clubs) if there is a Designated Premises Supervisor (or DPS) for those premises.

The designated premises supervisor must hold a personal licence under the Act. The designated premises supervisor will be the person running the premises on a day-to-day basis where alcohol is sold.

In addition to the need for a designated premises supervisor it is also a requirement of the Act that every supply of alcohol in licensed premises (other than clubs) must be made or authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

The effect of the above provisions is that all premises (other than clubs), which are licensed to sell or supply alcohol, must have at least one personal licence holder. Whilst there is no restriction on the number of personal licence holders that any one premises can have, there is no need for all staff who are serving or selling alcohol to hold personal licences.

Who can apply?

Any individual (not a company) aged 18 or over may apply for a personal licence. It is not necessary for that individual to be currently employed or to have business interests associated with the use of the licence. An individual is allowed to hold only one personal licence at any one time.

How do I apply?

In order to apply for a personal licence you need to submit an application form to the licensing authority in whose area you are ordinarily resident. If you live in the Ribble Valley the licensing authority is the Ribble Valley Borough Council.  An application pack is available here.

When you have completed and signed the form you must send it together with the following documents: (for further information please see guidance note)

  • Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration;
  • Original Disclosure Scotland Basic Disclosure;
  • Original Licensing qualification;
  • Two passport sized photographs, one endorsed as a true likeness;
  • Fee - £37.

to The Administration & Licensing Officer, Ribble Valley Borough Council, Council Offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe, Lancashire BB7 2RA.

How will my application be determined?

If your application is in order and you fulfil the relevant criteria for the grant of a personal licence and have no relevant criminal convictions the Council must grant your application. There will be no need for you to attend a hearing.

If you have a relevant criminal conviction and the police object to the application then the Council will hold a hearing to consider the objection. You will be entitled to attend the hearing and make representations.

What form will the licence take?

The licence if granted will be in the form of a physical document and will be in two separate parts. The first part will be in durable form and of a size no larger than 70mm x 100mm. It will contain the following information:

  • the holder's name and address;
  • the name of the licensing authority which granted it;
  • a photograph of the holder;
  • a unique reference number;
  • the date the licence expires.

The second part will contain the following information:

  • a record of any relevant offences of which the holder has been convicted including the date of conviction and the sentence imposed;
  • the holder's name and address;
  • the name of the licensing authority which granted it;
  • a unique reference number (this will be the same number as in the first part of the licence);
  • the date the licence expires.

When will the new licence take effect?

A personal licence once issued takes immediate effect and runs from the date it was granted.

How long will the licence last?

A personal licence lasts for ten years from the date it is granted unless the licence holder surrenders it or it is forfeited by an order of the court. If the licence holder moves to different premises or to another part of the country the licence continues to have effect and the licence holder does not need to reapply.

A personal licence can be renewed for further periods of ten years. An application for renewal must be made to the licensing authority which originally granted the licence.

What if my circumstances change?

The Licensing Act 2003 places the personal licence holder under a duty to notify the licensing authority of changes in their personal circumstances. In the event of a change of name or address, the licence holder should serve notice on the licensing authority, the notice to be accompanied by the Personal Licence and the fee of £10.50.

The holder of a personal licence is also under a duty to notify the licensing authority if he or she is convicted of a relevant offence. The notification should be accompanied by the personal licence. No fee is payable.

Licensing Section

For further information and advice on personal licences please contact:
Administration & Licensing Officer
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Council Offices
Church Walk

Direct line: 01200 414454
Fax: 01200 414485
e-mail: catherine.moore@ribblevalley.gov.uk

Related Downloads 

Personal Licence renewal pack