Refuse Collections

We have now collected the outstanding waste from all areas except half of Read and Simonstone. These areas will be collected this Friday and it will be blue week for recycling.

Health and Safety at Work

As a Borough Council, Ribble Valley is responsible for the enforcement of health, safety and welfare standards in a wide range of premises. The enforcement of health and safety legislation is split between the local authority and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Generally speaking the HSE are responsible for the more complex and larger operations requiring high specialisation e.g. mines, factories, chemical works, local authority operations and agricultural activities.

Premises for which we are responsible for include, shops, warehouses, offices, catering services, residential accommodation (including caravan sites, care homes etc), coin operated launderettes, cosmetic services, undertakers (except embalmers), care/treatment/accommodation or exhibition of animals, birds or other creatures (except a horse stud, agricultural activity or veterinary surgery), church worship and childcare, playgroup or nursery facilities.

We currently have in the order of 1100 businesses registered with this authority of which approximately 200, (20%) are inspected each year.

Inspections are programmed and undertaken in accordance with HSE Codes of Practice and guidelines based on 'risk management principles. Inspections a undertaken on a frequency between 12 months and 6 years and are unannounced wherever possible.

Food service plan

Food hygiene Intervention Plan.

Notification of cooling towers and evaporative condensers

Local authorities are required to keep a register of notifiable cooling towers and evaporative condensers located within their areas. The purpose is to be properly informed of where these appliances are located, and for rapid reference purposes with regard to the control of Legionnaires Disease, a serious respiratory disease in humans, linked to the poor maintenance of such plant.

The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 requires a person in control of non-domestic premises to ensure that any 'notifiable' device be notified in writing to the local authority in whose area the premises are situated. Download the Cooling Tower registration form.

A "notifiable device" means a cooling tower or an evaporative condenser except;

  • Where it contains no water that is exposed to air; and
  • Where its water supply is not connected; and
  • Where its electrical supply is not connected.

In addition, any changes to the information notified, must be notified within 1 month after their occurrence. Where a device is removed, this must also be notified to the local authority to enable the register to be amended accordingly. 

Service planning

The Environmental Health Service is delivered in accordance with the service levels and priorities set out in the Environmental Health Plan. In addition, a Health and Safety Service Plan is produced annually which sets out how this council intends to fulfil its statutory obligations with regard to health and safety regulation. This document contains specific service details and improvements to be implemented within the current year.

Health and safety enforcement policy

This Authority formally adopted the Enforcement Concordat in March 1998. A service specific enforcement policy has been produced setting out how the Council and its inspectors will approach and implement enforcement in a consistent way.

Registration of a factory (and use of mechanical power)

Under Section 137 of the Factories Act 1961, every person who begins to occupy, or use any part of a premise a factory, shall, not less than I month before he does so, register the premises with the local Health and Safety Inspector (ie with the local office of the Health and Safety Executive). Similarly, if a person in a factory introduces mechanical power for the first time, this must also be registered. This registration must be submitted on an F9 Notice.

Reporting of injuries disease and dangerous occurrence regulations 1995

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. Below is a list of some of the occasions when this Local Authority must be notified.

  1. Accident causing death or major injury i.e. fracture (not fingers, thumbs or toes), amputation, dislocation, unconsciousness of an employee or a member of the public on your premises.
  2. Accident resulting in a member of the public being taken to hospital.
  3. Accident that results in an employee being unable to work for over three days (including non-work days).
  4. Work related disease i.e. occupational dermatitis, occupational asthma. You should be notified by a doctor should an employee be suffering from a work related disease.
  5. Dangerous occurrences including explosions, electrical short circuit resulting in fire.

Apart from the three day injury to an employee the Riddor Contact Centre must be notified without delay of a reportable incident by telephone 0845 3009923. All accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences must be reported using the F2508 form within 10 days to the Incident Contact Centre, Caerphilly Business Park, and Caerphilly, CF83 3GG. You can also report an incident by:

1. Email:;

2. Website:; or

3. By fax: 0845 3009924. For a complete guide [ref No HSE31 - 5/96 - C3500] to these regulations contact HSE Books telephone 01787 881165.

You must keep a record of reportable injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences for at least three years.

Share this page: